Thursday, July 19, 2007

Separation Anxiety?

I think that's what we are going through. All of a sudden Bubba won't
stay asleep at night, and worse, cries and cries and won't be consoled,
sometimes every hour or forty-five minutes. We tried dosing him with
Tylenol, thinking it might be teeth, but it made no difference. One
night he started speaking a different "language" than during the day,
we thought he was about to say some words beyond "ma, ma".

He
doesn't seem to know what he wants. Everything wakes him up. I hold him
on my chest and he goes to sleep then gets restless and rolls to the
bed and starts to scream. He just can't be consoled. My husband rolls
over, and he screams. This has been escalating for at least a week. I
am destroyed. It's like reliving the dark months over again, and I
thought we were past it.

He won't stay down for his nap either,
all I have to do is shift, not even get up, and he starts screaming. I
can't pat or rub him back to sleep. Lying right next to him is just not
good enough. He wouldn't let my mother hold him for a nap on Monday.
Last night he would only be comforted by me, not his dad, which is
unusual. He's normal around strangers, still likes them to talk to him
and hold him. But, I swear, it feels like he is trying to crawl back in
the womb.

I hope this quits soon, I so want to enjoy his first
birthday next week. I am not a perfect mother, I could have handled
this better. I should have realized there was too much new stuff going
on. Instead I got mad that just when I was able to carve out some time
for myself after he went to bed and at meager nap times, it was taken
from me. It was so bad the other night my husband told me just to be
nice toBubba . He was right, but it is so hard to have a cling-on 24/7
on no sleep. I just get so mad when he cries when I'm holding him. I
just feel so helpless because I'm doing all I can and he cries and
cries. I know everyone needs to cry a bit, but it just goes on and on.

And
now I'm reminded of all the other things I should have handled better,
things that I thought I had made peace with. Deep down I know I am a
good mother, doing the best I can, but I could have been more gentle,
understanding. Please let this phase end.

1 comment:

info@thebabymarketplace.com said...

Sleep little Bubba and give your "GOOD" mom a break!

Janice, I can tell from your writing that you are good mom, a great mom!

If it makes you feel any better, my most challenging baby (in all ways temperment, sleeping, eating) is now my least trying ... he just grew out of it ... sleep in, eats everything, stays out of trouble, good at school :)

Hang in there!