Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Leaps & Bounds

Bubba will be a year old in two weeks, and so much has been happening recently:
  • He is truly walking. He will leave the room and go exploring
  • Oddly, he started cross-crawling. He had only been combat crawling, and even then, reluctantly
  • He will rustle around next to me after story time and go to sleep
  • He is waving good-bye now
  • He is also waving at the streetcar, even when he can only hear it, not see it
  • He will offer his food and drinks to people. Mmm mm good backwash
  • He gets that the giraffe at the zoo, his giraffe puppet, and the giraffe in the book are all related
  • He is nursing less at night
  • He is fascinated with the toilet
Wow, so much great stuff happening all at once. The most memorable moment was when I left him to play on the bedroom floor while I went to the kitchen for a swig of luke-warm coffee. As I stepped into the kitchen I turned around and there he was.

Also memorable was turning around while I was brushing my teeth to see that he had lifted the lid of the toilet and was swishing his hand around in the bowl.

Here's another example of his genius. Today I bought him an owl finger puppet at the park. He was falling asleep in the stroller and he beamed and hugged it (awww). He held it for most of the nap. We got home and played with it a bit. I said "hoot-hoot" and such. A few minutes ago I gave him a plastic bowl in the kitchen and asked him to put the owl in it. He walked right out the living room carrying the bowl, I said "hoot-hoot" and he dropped down to the puppet. I said "put it in" and he did. Genius I tell you.

I guess this is what everyone kept telling me about, how it was going to get fun.